So, I finished Middlemarch a while ago but only blogging about it now.
The book was excellent. I have read most all of Jane Austin's works and to contrast it, Jane Austin writes about the nobles of the time. The people she writes on are mostly wealthy property owners and people of "society." Middlemarch is more about a country town and the people who inhabit it. These are mostly working class people and their perspective is quite different.
The book touches on politics in the time and also on class struggles. For example, one family, made comfortable in trade, managed to send their son to college. After college he could have become clergy. As a clergy person he would have been at the entry level of "society." There is a chance that his offspring could marry up.
The book dealt more deeply with motivations and the feelings of the characters. I would have to say it felt like a blending of Pride and Prejudice and Anna Karenina. Great love stories inside, but more depth and complexity.
Next Up: Moby Dick
No comments:
Post a Comment